image

Complicated Spoons Are The Best Kind Of Spoons


posted by Nicole on , , , , , , ,

1 comment

I dropped by Complicated Spoon Clothing's HQ today to pick up my new clothes! Well, that's what I told myself at least. I was also curious to meet the lovely Mia who's the second half of Complicated Spoon Clothing after having heard so much about her. I'd a good chat with Mia and Carlia, the brains behind this little business and I also took the time to model my new clothes for them!


I ordered the eggplant velvet skater dress and burgundy faux suede skater skirt from them a few weeks back. When the fabric came in, I was so excited but Carlia's overlocker died on her. I would say disregarding all that, their turnaround time is probably about a fortnight which is pretty good considering Carlia's the only one sewing and patterning! She's Superwoman!


This is the eggplant velvet skater. Carlia made it to my exact measurements, which is about an XXS.


Honestly, I wasn't too sure about the velvet when I first felt it because I expected it to be thicker and more luxurious. Carlia had pm'd me about it when the velvet arrived and she's sourcing for other suppliers now. If the new velvet that comes in is better, she said she'll make me a new dress so I'm not too worried about it. Definitely good customer service there, honesty's always good when it comes to businesses, big or small!


The back of the skater dress is exactly the same as the front. The label has been sewn on the side of the dress so you can wear the dress whichever way you want to! I love it because I always end up wearing dresses and tops the other way round and this saves me heaps of time. I sometimes spend five minutes trying to figure out how to wear something correctly.

I have to say I LOVE the cut of the dress. I freaked out when I first saw it because it looks tiny but it fits perfectly! I actually feel...safe in the dress. Odd, I know, but that's just because it fits THAT well and it just hugs me where it's supposed to. SO MUCH LOVE FOR THE CUT. 


This it the burgundy faux suede skater skirt.


I couldn't resist, I HAD to take a spin. You would've done the same if you'd this skirt on. Except you can't, because it's MY skirt. GET YOUR OWN.


I love the fabric!! The faux suede is heavy and structured enough so it drapes perfectly in a skater skirt. Except, it still has form, you know, unlike some really cheap fabrics you get sometimes when the skirt just HANGS there. Not this baby, this baby is perfect! It feels really luxurious and thick but I reckon I'm still going to get some wear out of it in summer, just not with tights. I can just imagine pairing all my swims with skater skirts and this will definitely be in rotation.

The skirt was a little big because Carlia was worried about getting the skirt over my hips. There isn't much stretch in the faux suede unfortunately but I managed to wrangle the skirt over my hips, except then it actually sat on my hips instead of my waist. No babies coming out of these hips, clearly.


Carlia took the skirt in and added a zip and that adorable matching button. I love it heaps more now, which seems pretty irrational because I mean, it's just a BUTTON, isn't it?! But it's a pretty darn cute button. Cute as a button. Get it?! 


Here. Look at that button. Look at it. How round, how cute, how perfect it is. 


Let's talk prices. Complicated Spoon currently runs on a deposit-first system. So you pm them with your order. They let you know how much your deposit is (20% of the total) and you paypal them the money. When your order has been completed, you paypal them the rest. They currently mail Australia-wide, so non-Perthies can get their hands on these gorgeous creations too! 

For reference, my velvet skater dress was $65 and my faux suede skater skirt was $45. They're really reasonable considering they're a small business and they only charging $10/h of work on your order! Your clothes will also come with their very own label, which is adorable and extremely soft and comfortable. That's one label you WON'T be cutting off your clothes! Their dresses and skirts also come in three different lengths so there's a perfect one for you no matter how fun-sized or fairy-sized you are!

It comes as no surprise I love Complicated Spoon Clothing because I'm a big supporter of small businesses. This is one business I don't ever want to see fail so go check out their Facebook page! They've more than 200 stretch fabrics you can order anything in (psst they're even doing skater dresses with princess seams now!!) and a tonne of non-stretch fabrics you can order retro dresses in. Carlia has no formal training in sewing and patterning so everything she knows, she's learnt from scratch. If that's not determination and passion, I don't know what is.

Till next time,
Seriously, Nicole


1 comment

Leave a Reply